Losing Weight Has Changed Me

....but in a good way of course!

Nine months ago I started this "weight loss journey" as most would call it. It was a normal day for me. I was headed to my Thyroid appointment - this occurred every year or so -  this was a standard routine since I was 18. This time, my doctor wasn't so nice. She pointed to my weight and said, "This number cannot go up." It was 153 pounds. The most I have ever weighed in my life was 155 pounds. Immediately I realized that I weighed way more than I should at 5"5'. So I started going to the gym, got on Nutrisystem, and lost 10 pounds within the first 3-4 months. I set my mind to the end goal of losing weight and being happy. I wanted to share a few things that I have learned in the last nine months. It's been a journey to say the least.

1. I learned how to be nice: 
I'm not sure if this has come with age or confidence, and most would probably say that I am fairly nice, but those from work would say otherwise ;) I was Sassy and would often give "ASS" ("Abbie's Sass Stare). Since losing weight and building confidence, I have learned to be happy and try and make others around me happy. For instance, I saw an older man just sitting on a bench by himself. I walked past him and as I did, I said "HI!"

2. I learned how to be alone:
With confidence comes, well, confidence. As in, why do I have to settle? If I don't receive a text from a guy for a day or two, who cares? I have found the best way to be alone is to do what you love. I would work out, bake (build my business) or write. Working out takes time and usually I plan for a few hours. I have learned patience and that being alone can be fun and valuable. It's the time you get to work through your thoughts, and fortunately for me, it included this blog post - over and over and over.

3. I learned discipline:
Maybe "discipline" isn't the right word as I did partake in two lunches today. And I eat Pizza, and cupcakes, and Reese's, and the list goes on and on. I guess this is the joy of being human. Loving myself means providing myself with yummy food, and, on some occasions, two meals. But losing weight overall did teach me that if I needed to buckle down, I know what I have to do. Gym. Less than 1800 calories. Not giving into temptation. Not doing it because everyone else is.      

4. I learned what life is really about:
Adventures. Last year at this time, or even for the past 30 years, I never thought hiking sounded fun. I never cared to go. I went out but it was to clubs or bars. Not concerts, swimming, canoeing, hiking...I want to be active, I want to be out, I want to enjoy life and everything it brings. Being active not only helps with my weight loss but it can also be an amazing time to see and enjoy Utah and spend time with friends. I spent time with my nieces yesterday and helped Presley ride the scooter and pushed her and Emerson in the swings. Presley loved the scooter and would put both of her feet and little toes on the scooter while I pushed her around. Yes, after awhile it did wear me out, but this is so much better than sitting inside coloring or watching TV.

I didn't realize the impact weight would have on my life. Weight was holding me back from being adventurous. The rest of this year, my goal is to not only be happy, but apply those things that I have learned and just have an awesome year. Cheers to a skinnier and happier me!

x0x0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Potato Soup in the Crockpot

Book Review and Summary - Prince Harry - "Spare"

Chrissy Teigen's Cheesy-Knife-and-Fork Meatball Subs from Cravings 2