Trouble in Paradise - What to do if you are Unemployed

Fifteen months ago I decided to take a huge risk and jump into a sudden move to California. I knew what to expect before moving here: High rent, high housing, high gas prices, expensive food, expensive drinks, but at that point in time, and still to this day, the rewards outweigh the risks. Moving from Utah to California I have experienced a new dynamic, a different social atmosphere, a paradise, amazing and fresh olive oil, wine, wine tasting, amazing views, cuisine, fresh food, rolling hills, cooler weather and stunning sunsets.

But fifteen months later, here I am. Unemployed. Again. I knew finding a job would be hard but I didn't realize that keeping a job would be harder. Utah's job force was extremely opposite of what I have experienced thus far. I had a job for six and a half years, another for three and a half years. Since moving here, I had a job for ten months, was unemployed for two months, was employed for two more months and, as of today, unemployed. So it's been interesting to say the least.

So why write a blog post about it? I have learned a lot the past fifteen months and if you are in the same, or a similar situation, it's easy to give up, be hard on yourself, get depressed, and not understand why certain things happen. But here is what I have learned, and what I am currently learning, as I go through this process. Here are some tips, ideas, things to do, things to try, besides just applying for jobs. This is my personal experience but hopefully it can help you in some way or another.

- File for unemployment right away (if this applies): One thing that I did regret was waiting two months to file for unemployment the first time I got laid off. Although I received two months of severance, I waited until that was almost through to file for unemployment. If I would have filed two months earlier, I could have received more than just one unemployment payment.

- Work on yourself: This is so cliche but as my cousin has said, just think of this as a temporary vacation until you get another job. Cook, go to the gym, focus on your health, because once you get back to work, that usually ends up on the back burner. I was working 10-12 hour days and, most recently, had only been going to the gym maybe ONCE a week. And eating out. And drinking all of the beer. So yes, this is a terrible combination that can get out of hand. The time to control it is now.

- Thrift shop: If you still want to spoil yourself a little (as you should) but, like me, purchase a lot of boutique items, start looking at thrift stores, Target, Poshmark, or even Facebook yardsale websites. Most cities will have their own yard sale website on Facebook which connects locals to purchase items from other locals. I have also resorted to Target as they have SO many cute items, and Poshmark where you can bundle or purchase items at a discount.

- Sell on Poshmark: Everyone has clothes they want to get rid of but have no idea what to do with them. Obviously donating is a great idea but if you want to make a little extra cash, try Poshmark. Sell your clothes at a discount, print a pre-paid label and drop it off at the post office. You get paid when the buyer receives the item and the buyer can review the item just like on Amazon. So easy and such a great way to earn extra income.  

--> You can follow me HERE.

- Enter giveaways: Most people may see this as a waste of time but, coming from someone who has won A LOT the past few years, I feel very strongly about it. Even if you win a gift card or a hotel somewhere, it will help ease the pain of purchasing food, giving you an extra date night, or a mini vacation.

--> If you want to see a list of everything I won in 2017, you can click HERE.
--> If you want to see a list of everything I won in 2018, you can click HERE.
--> If you want to follow me on IG and see what contests/giveaways I enter, you can click HERE.

- Put together a Dream/Vision Board: This was actually something that I made a priority the first time I got laid off of work (December 2017). I still have not completed my Vision Board but I really wanted to focus on what I really want for myself, my life, and aligned my goals with that. All I did was grab a poster board, old magazines and a glue stick and started clipping out things that stood out. Here are a few things I put on my board: Positive quotes ("Change the World", "Living the Dream", "Steal the Show", "Embody Adventures", "Lake Life", "Champion Multitasker"), a wedding ring, Disneyland, cupcakes, a Jeep, Paddleboarding, a Dog, and hiking. I am a firm believer in positive self-talk and positive thinking. Put together your future, your dreams, your goals, your life and use that to motivate you on a daily basis.

- READ: I was obsessed with reading through elementary school. As I got older, reading was forced on me through homework, assignments, and projects. It wasn't until the past few months that I have gone back to that obsession stage. I have so many books to read but the one I am currently reading is "The Leadership Playbook" which has to do with business, sports, and how they correlate. Those who know me know that I love the NBA and NFL so this sums business up in a sports-like way. Don't worry, the book review is coming soon. Sometimes when you lose a job it seems like you aren't thinking the way that a job allows you to. Read a book and this will help with education, thinking, learning, and growing.

- Touch up on your SKILLS: I had a cupcake business in Utah that did decently well for the one year or so that I really dedicated myself to it. I love baking but haven't really done that much since moving to California. I just received an order for a wedding the end of June. If this doesn't force me to touch up on my skills, I don't know what does. I'm also writing three more books. Having more free time allows me to write more which allows me to get the book done sooner, published sooner, and hopefully provides me with more money sooner :) Find what you like to do whether it be a hobby, or something that you want to eventually turn into a career and focus on that, spend time on that and enhance your skills.

- Always have more than one stream of income: I learned this a long time ago but understand that it's easier said than done. A few years ago it was a full time job, cupcakes on the side, and money from my book that I have published. Now it's more like no job, no cupcakes, and barely any money from my book. Lesson learned, right? The point is, having more than one stream of income gives you a little more stability when you lose your job. If you want to help add to my additional income stream, you can purchase my book HERE :)

- Enjoy this time: You may not get it again for a very long time.



Things may get tough. You may be sad, cry, be depressed, but if you focus on your goals, dreams, and ambitions, it will provide you with a new light, a new viewpoint, and a new path. A new path is not always a bad path and it's not always the direction that you want. A new path comes with new challenges, new happiness, new goals, and a new future that is designed especially for you.

Stay Strong,

x0x0
Abbie

Comments

  1. Hey there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay.
    I'm absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use Twitter - @guerreroabbie is my Twitter handle!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Potato Soup in the Crockpot

Book Review and Summary - Prince Harry - "Spare"

Chrissy Teigen's Cheesy-Knife-and-Fork Meatball Subs from Cravings 2