An Eye for an Eye


According to the most unreliable website created, Wikipedia, "An eye for an eye, or the law of retaliation, is the principle that a person who has injured another person is to be penalized to a similar degree, or in softer interpretations, the victim receives the (estimated) value of the injury in compensation." At age 31, I have realized that I have based the majority of my life on this motto. I am not a mean person per-say but, when someone is mean to me, instead of taking it as criticism, I usually fire back with something meaner and worse than the original statement.

I am not sure where this retaliation came from, maybe how hurt I have been in the past by people that were close to me, accepting criticism as hatred, not good enough, being someone I'm not. Isn't that what criticism is? You are okay or accepting of something that someone else isn't? You enjoy the lifestyle you are living at the moment but someone else wants to take away that happiness?

Whether it's eating late at night, not taking enough time to get ready in the morning, not doing my hair, not shaving enough, how I look pregnant, how my car is a mess, how I am terrible at directions, how my teeth are yellow, how terrible my memory is, how I am a bad influence because I have tattoos.

whew. What an exhausting list. And that has all happened in the past 10 years. Now this all makes sense. I do my own thing. I enjoy being different, unique, standing out. What I don't enjoy is criticism. This isn't a pity party, this is my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Potato Soup in the Crockpot

Book Review and Summary - Prince Harry - "Spare"

10 Ways to Make Parenting a Middle Schooler a Little Bit Easier