A letter to the NFL

It's 2017 which is an era of online opinions, disrespect, do-what-you-want-when-you-want-how-you-want, spoiled rich kids, bullying, online bullying, suicide, hiding behind a computer screen, extreme violence, lack of trust in our surroundings, riots, racism, lack of trust in professionals, and that's just the beginning.

As a Millennial, I am thoroughly embarrassed by the NFL. As a Millennial, I automatically get judged as one of the "disrespectful, do-what-you-want-when-you-want-how-you-want spoiled rich kids." I am educated, wrote a book, open to diversity and opinions,but I have never understood kneeling during the national anthem. I get irritated internally when people talk during the national anthem, are on their phones during the national anthem, or don't take their hats off during the national anthem. I have been to many games - college football, high school football, NFL, NBA, college basketball, hockey games, and right now, I am embarrassed.

Let me back up a little bit. I haven't always been a fan of the NFL. I have attended Superbowl parties for the past 10+ years but I would usually go for the popcorn, wings, and social aspect. About five years ago, I decided to fully embrace football and took the time to understand the sport. Now that I understand the sport, I enjoy watching it. As I am writing this blog post, I am listening to the audio of the Denver Broncos (aka my team) and Bills game and watching the Giants/Eagles on television. To me, sports is a way that diversity can align, different backgrounds, races, languages, all enjoy one goal. With that being said, we do live in an era where every person can utilize their freedom and that unfortunately led to taking a knee during the national anthem, but let me explain something.

Personally, I feel that taking a knee during the National Anthem is moving us backwards. Sports is there to bring us together, and now that taking a knee is trending (just look up #taketheknee on Twitter) it seems like that united feeling we had as sports lovers has now turned back to division. I am not one to follow trends. I like to stand out, be unique, be different. Maybe this was the players way to stand out, be different, be unique, but in all reality, you are destroying something that united fans and people across the world.

I didn't vote for Trump. I don't like the state that America is in right now. I don't agree with all of the decisions that are being made. I don't necessarily trust those in authority. I don't trust all police officers. I don't trust all of those that are supposed to follow and support the law. But through all of this, I love America. I am blessed to be in a country where there IS diversity, we have freedom, we can say and do what we want. We support each other when in need. We are there for each other through natural disasters. We give to those in need. We love. We fight for our country. THIS is why we stand. THIS is why we respect our flag. THIS is why we take our hats off. THIS is why we love sports. THIS is why we respect those who have served. THIS is why we are grateful.

But THIS is only MY opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Potato Soup in the Crockpot

Book Review and Summary - Prince Harry - "Spare"

10 Ways to Make Parenting a Middle Schooler a Little Bit Easier