10 Amazing Food Places in San Luis Obispo (SLO), California

On February 15th, 2017, I took a plunge and moved from Utah to California. I left my family, my friends, and my life that I had built up for more than 20 years. My initial goal was to live with my cousin in San Luis Obispo (SLO), California, for three months. Well, 15 months later, I'm still here! I absolutely love and adore every aspect of SLO. I have been to many restaurants since being here and was asked and approved to write a blog post on "10 Amazing Food Places in San Luis Obispo (SLO), California." And since being new to the city and providing an outsiders perspective and view on new experiences, I figured, why not? Below are the top 10 food places that I have been to and I did put them in order based on my experience - #1 being my favorite. There are several recommended restaurants and food places that I did place at the bottom of the page but I have not had the opportunity to experience them yet myself, so I did not add them to my top list. Enjoy!


1. Flour House - Authentic Pizza and Pasta, Downtown SLO
For Christmas last year, my girlfriends and I decided that instead of giving each other gifts, we would give the "gift" of friendship. We decided to all go out to Flour House and enjoy our time together. The food here was AMAZING. I had the "Quite a Pear" Signature Cocktail and the Burrata Antipasto Pizza. The pizza was a wood-fired, 10 inch, individual, un-sliced piece. Best food I have had and definitely a 5-Star experience!

                                               Burrata Antipasto Pizza from Flour House


2. McClintocks - Great steaks, 100% local wines, Downtown SLO
I have been to the McClintock's during Farmer's Market (outside) and also the Saloon inside. I enjoy the Saloon better due to the fact that it is quiet, there is a place to sit (when we get food during Farmer's, we end up sitting on the sidewalk as there are no tables outside to sit at), and usually there are sports or something fun to watch on the TV's. When I was at the Saloon, I ordered the Western Quesadilla (flour tortilla stuffed with cheddar cheese, filled with tri-tip, topped with sour cream, diced tomatoes, and olives. I had mine without Jalapenos.) When I go to the outside one on Thursday nights, their menu is different and they usually stick with the basics. I tend to get the Tri-Tip sandwich and Garlic Bread.

                                    Saloon Menu: https://www.mclintocks.com/saloon-menu/


Western Quesadilla from McClintock's Saloon

                                                  My friend and I at McClintock's Saloon


3. Woodstock's Pizza - Student-Oriented Pizzaria, Downtown SLO
In 2017, when I first moved here, my girlfriends and I did trivia night every week at Woodstock Pizza. It was so much fun. We would always order pizza (I went for the regular pepperoni pizza slices) and would sometimes share appetizers. Pizza is fantastic. Such a fun atmosphere, perfect for students (or college-age) and trivia nights are fun every week!

For their Instagram page, you can click HERE
For their Twitter page, you can click HERE
For their Facebook page, you can click HERE


4. Laguna Grill Bar and Grill, San Luis Obispo
I live just a few blocks away from Laguna Grill and have been here several times. I love the food and always lean towards the Western Tri-Tip Sandwich, Onion Rings, and Seasoned Fries. You place your order up front and they call your number when your food is ready. The service is fairly quick, food is delicious, they have TV's everywhere for the local sports game and this is a perfect restaurant for the entire family!

For their full menu, you can click here: http://www.lagunagrillslo.com/menu


5. Panera Bread - Cookie Store, Bakery, Cafe, San Luis Obispo
My cousin and I go here every once in awhile as it is right down the street from our house. I always order the same thing - Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich (full size) and Kids Tomato Soup. It always comes with a roll on the side. This is my second favorite Grilled Cheese Sandwich - my Nana makes the best and you can't beat that! 

                                        Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Panera Bread
                                                       Photo credit: Panera Bread website
  


6. Rib Line - BBQ and Grill, Los Osos Valley Road in San Luis Obispo
I have ordered Rib Line several times for take-out and absolutely love it. It's the perfect BBQ spot. I always get the Famous Tri-Tip Sandwich served on a hoagie. The fries are delicious as well! 


7. Eureka! - American Craft, Downtown SLO
I have been to Eureka! twice, both during the night of Farmer's market. According to their website, Eureka! is "a collection of America's best. Eureka! features an elevated American selection of craft beer, small-batch whiskey, regional wine, and locally sourced ingredients." They had sports on TV which was great and we ordered the honey and cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries. Those are a MUST, so delicious! I did enjoy my Mimosa and the Butcher's Steak Dip Sandwich as well.

For their Instagram page, you can click HERE
For their Facebook page, you can click HERE


8. Batch - Old Fashioned Ice Cream, Downtown SLO
If you are looking for homemade cookies combined with delicious, old fashioned ice cream, Batch is the place for you! Newly remodeled, this cute shop may be small, but it's a perfect place to pop into during a Farmer's Market night or after a dinner downtown. Choose your cookies and choose your ice cream and Voila! You have the perfect ice cream sandwich.


9. SLO Brew - Restaurant and Pub, Downtown SLO
SLO Brew is located in downtown San Luis Obispo. It is a fairly large bar and I went there with a friend of mine and her boyfriend. We had several drinks and even tried the Peach Shortcake which was very delicious and unique. I've never had anything like it before. They had sports games on TV and a huge bar to sit at.

For their Facebook page, you can click HERE

Me, my friend, and her boyfriend at SLO Brew

                                     Peach Shortcake (Fruit Custard Brulee) from SLO Brew


10. Creeky Tiki - Food with flair, Downtown SLO
This place has been one of my favorites since day one. I enjoy the live music and the drinks (mainly). Whether you are looking for a cocktail, savory bites, cold beer, or local wine, this is the place to be.

For their Instagram page, you can click HERE
For their Facebook page, you can click HERE


  

Restaurants that I have not experienced personally but have been referred to me:



Thanks for visiting! Please let me know your thoughts in the comments below!




Comments

  1. Keep on writing, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.

    Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a extraordinary job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not refrain from commenting. Well written!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Potato Soup in the Crockpot

Book Review and Summary - Prince Harry - "Spare"

10 Ways to Make Parenting a Middle Schooler a Little Bit Easier