Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas

The original recipe was taken from HERE
 I took this recipe and made it my own based on personal preferences.

Ingredients:

For the enchiladas:
one tsp olive oil
one 15.5oz can of Navy beans (I used Cannellini beans)
two cooked and shredded chicken breast
1/4 cup water
one chicken bullion
one tbsp ground cumin
one tsp. onion powder
one tsp. garlic powder

For the enchilada sauce:
one tbsp butter
one tbsp onion powder
one cup chicken broth
two tbsp flour
salt
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup cheese
tortillas
fresh cilantro


Before mixing the ingredients, we need to create the shredded chicken breast. This was actually easier than I thought. I put three chicken breast in a pan, set the oven to 375 degrees, added 1/4 cup water in the pan and seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook 35 minutes. 


I put the chicken in the refrigerator last night so it was not frozen when I put it in the oven. I only ended up using two of them for this recipe. When it came out of the oven, I used two forks to pull it apart. Before you start with the filling or sauce, preheat the oven to 375.

Enchilada filling: In a medium pan, heat olive oil on low. Add onion powder, garlic powder, and cook about 2-3 minutes. Add beans, water, bullion (mine didn't work out so well so make sure you add the bullion in boiling water well before), and cumin. Mix and simmer for about 15 minutes on low.


If you want to add the chicken at this point, you can, or you can add it separately like I did. If you do add the chicken, add it to the enchilada filling above and cook for five minutes or until it thickens and set aside.

Enchilada sauce: In a nonstick pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion powder and stir occasionally, about 3-4 minutes. Add flour and stir well. Cook for one minute and slowly whisk in chicken broth. I added 1/2 cup and then another 1/2 cup. Cook over medium heat until the sauce boils and thickens. Stir in sour cream.


Fill each tortilla with some of the chicken and bean filling.


Roll the tortilla and place in a baking dish. Do this until all of the tortillas are rolled. I used five tortillas. Pour the enchilada/sour cream sauce over the top of the enchiladas and top with cheese. Bake 30 minutes. Remove and top with fresh cilantro.


If you try this recipe and like it, let me know below! If you made any changes, let me know what changes you made. I would love to hear your feedback! ⬇️⬇️⬇️




Comments

  1. Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your blog.
    You have some really great posts and I think I would be
    a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off,
    I'd absolutely love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Potato Soup in the Crockpot

Book Review and Summary - Prince Harry - "Spare"

10 Ways to Make Parenting a Middle Schooler a Little Bit Easier