Crispy Fried Chicken

I have never looked forward to a weekend as much as I have this weekend. I'm not sure if it was the fact that I didn't get a lot of sleep, or if it was because Jace was home sick since Tuesday or if it was because I worked more than 40 hours a week (which seems to be the norm but still an adjustment). We did an at-home COVID test for Jace on Wednesday since he had a bad cough and, of course, he tested negative. This is his 4th or 5th COVID test since school started in August. Unfortunately, the school does not accept the at-home COVID test so I had to take him yesterday to get an actual COVID test done at his doctor's office. So dumb. But anyways he did test negative of course so he will be back to school on Tuesday. 

This past week I cooked a lot but didn't have a lot of time to blog so hopefully I can catch up a little bit :) This recipe is for Crispy Fried Chicken Sandwiches but we didn't have hamburger buns so we just used bread, pickles, and mayo. So good. This was such an amazing Fried Chicken recipe you guys! It's from Food and Wine and can be found HERE. I'm pretty sure the last four blogs have been fried food which is super unusual because we typically eat healthier than that but fried chicken at home has been AMAZING and all of us clear our plates. If you are looking for a healthy dinner recipe, this is not it. But let's be real, nothing is better than fried food. 

The original recipe calls for 12 chicken breasts but it was only Kevin and I so I only made 4. I would suggest if you make for 2 people, use less of the ingredients or it may be a little saltier than it should be. I also don't ever use straight salt when I cook anymore. Kevin is really supposed to be watching his sodium intake so I try and eliminate salt when possible. I do use the flavor adjustments though that my brother bought me and I will always use those because they are amazing. 

In this recipe we replaced buttermilk with heavy cream. If you are only making this for two people, you also don't need four cups of flour. Also, the original recipe calls for pickle brine in the directions but not in the ingredients. I didn't use pickle brine and it turned out perfect still. 

Ingredients: 
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
4 chicken thighs
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water
1 large egg
4 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
Vegetable Oil
Extra Items - Mayonnaise, sourdough bread, pickles


Directions:
Stir together paprika, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and onion powder in a small bowl. 


Place chicken thighs in a bag and add the mixture. Seal bag, massage and let sit while you prepare the other ingredients. 

Whisk together heavy cream, water, egg in a large bowl. Add chicken to heavy cream mixture. In another large bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch and some pepper. Set aside. 

In a large pan, add vegetable oil and let it sit on high until ready. Move the chicken from the heavy cream mixture, to the flour mixture and then the oil. Slowly place chicken in oil for 3 minutes on one side and then turn for another 3-4 minutes. Remove and place on a plate and repeat the process until all pieces are done. If you want to make it into a sandwich, get two pieces of sourdough bread, add mayonnaise and add chicken with pickles. Enjoy! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Potato Soup in the Crockpot

Book Review and Summary - Prince Harry - "Spare"

10 Ways to Make Parenting a Middle Schooler a Little Bit Easier