Turkey Taco Chili Macaroni in the Cast-Iron Skillet

The past few blogs I have been writing on the weekends and I have to say, it seems to workout better that way! Life is too busy during the week - between me working, helping Jace with homework and cooking dinner every night, it's hard enough to do all of that. But at least cooking during the week gives me some wonderful blogs to write about on the weekend :)

A few nights ago we made this Turkey Taco Chili Macaroni - I took the recipe from Skinny Taste but made it our own below. This definitely tasted better in the cast-iron skillet. I think my skillet and air fryer are my two favorite kitchen items :) Annnnddd I guess since I have "favorite kitchen items" I am officially an adult LOL. Also, I have to say, I went to Smart & Final for the items for this recipe and I found the ground turkey for $1.69/each (a little over a pound)! Normally they were $4.99 so I bought a couple of them. I love deals so this made me super happy!

Kevin, Jace, the roommate and I loved this and I have a feeling I'll be making it again :) I love when I have those recipes that I can go back to in my own blog and recreate them. It makes my week a lot easier :)

Anyways, here is the recipe! As always, if you love it or have any questions, please provide your comments below!

Ingredients for the taco seasoning:
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano

Ingredients for the chili:
- 1-1.5lb ground turkey
- onion powder, as much as you wold like
- roasted garlic powder, as much as you would like
- 16oz tomato sauce
- 16oz can refried beans
- 16oz water
- 8oz macaroni shells, uncooked
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Use vegetable oil and brown the turkey, breaking up as it cooks. When cooked all the way through, add the onion powder, roasted garlic powder, and taco seasoning and cook 2-3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, refried beans, and water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes.


Stir in uncooked pasta and simmer uncovered over medium heat about 9 minutes (the original recipe said about 6 minutes, or al dente, but the pasta still ended up being chewy so I cooked for about 3 more minutes and it was perfect). I also added more water for the remainder three minutes so if you notice that the pasta doesn't have a lot of liquid to soak up, feel free to add more water.


Remove the skillet from the heat and top with cheese. Let sit for 2-3 minutes.


Serve with tortilla chips or just by itself :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Potato Soup in the Crockpot

Book Review and Summary - Prince Harry - "Spare"

10 Ways to Make Parenting a Middle Schooler a Little Bit Easier