Crockpot Taco Casserole Soft Tacos Flavorful Taco Meat

I'm pretty sure with the almost-zero free-time I get now-a-days, I spend it catching up on blogs. Tomorrow I'm working 10 hours and then Saturday I'm working 8 hours so it will be a crazy weekend. I figured I would catch up on a blog to satisfy at least until next week :) Again, last Sunday I was able to plan my meals for the week which was nice because the last few weeks I have been so inconsistent with my diet. Even now I'm sitting here eating Skittles - what can ya do?

Last night we tried this Crockpot Taco Casserole but because I didn't add onions or anything in the crockpot, it was more like really delicious and flavorful taco meat. We put the meat in tortillas and it was the most flavorful soft taco I've ever made! The original recipe was made by Maya at Wholesome Yum but I changed the recipe up just a little bit. I really want her book by the way! It's on my Christmas list!

Ingredients for Taco Casserole:
1 tbsp EVOO
1 lb ground beef
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup taco seasoning (homemade, see below)
1 tbsp roasted onion powder
2 10oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Option Toppings:
Lettuce
Avocado
Sour Cream

Ingredients for Taco Seasoning:
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp pepper
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp roasted garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper


Directions: 
In a large pan, heat EVOO over medium heat. Add ground beef until brown, about 8-10 minutes. While that is cooking, prepare your taco seasoning in a bowl by whisking together all ingredients.



Add the water and taco seasoning to the ground beef. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes until it thickens. Transfer to a crockpot and add the drained diced tomatoes as well as onion powder if you would like. Cook on high for 4 hours.


Five minutes before it is done, open up and add one cup of cheese. Cook for the remainder five minutes until the cheese melts. Wrap up like a burrito or you can just eat the taco meat in a bowl and add avocado, lettuce and more cheese. Kevin and I thought about even adding beans to it and making it like a chili. So, so good. If you make this one or Maya's recipe, please let me know below. I would love to hear your thoughts on both!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Potato Soup in the Crockpot

Book Review and Summary - Prince Harry - "Spare"

10 Ways to Make Parenting a Middle Schooler a Little Bit Easier