Low Carb Chicken and Keto Waffles

I'm sure you have seen the memes going around social media that the time between Christmas and New Year's is so confusing. This was so true for me. I worked for the first time in nine days and it's weird to me that today is Friday. What was even more surprising is when I asked Kevin what he wanted for dinner tonight and he actually said he wanted Keto Chicken and Waffles. Ummmmm....what?? So he sent me a recipe for chicken and I used my recipe for waffles. For those who aren't aware of my journey, I have been eating Low Carb/Keto since the end of June and I'm down about 10 pounds. I cook most of the week so usually my boyfriend and son eat whatever I make. I have two different recipes that I made below - one for the Low Carb Fried Chicken and one for the Keto Waffles. If you don't want Low Carb Fried Chicken and just want regular full-of-carbs Fried Chicken, you can view my recipe for that HERE.

Ingredients for the Chicken:
-3lbs boneless chicken thighs, cut into tenders
-1/2 cup buttermilk
-4 cups vegetable oil (or olive oil if you have)
-2 eggs
-1 cup almond flour
-1tsp onion powder
-1tsp garlic powder
-1tsp pepper
-1tsp paprika
-1/2tsp salt

Directions for the Chicken:
Cut chicken into tenders and place in a bowl. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken and refrigerate for 45 minutes.

                                                 

Meanwhile, mix the almond flour and spices together in a bowl.

                                                

While the chicken is in the refrigerator, heat the oil on the stove until you can flick water in it and it sizzles (about 5 minutes). I also used a brand new pan and made sure the oil was less than half of the size of the pan. Whisk the eggs together in a bowl. Set up an assembly line for the chicken. You will take the chicken out piece by piece, dip it in the egg bowl followed by the almond flour mixture and slowly place the pieces of chicken into the oil once ready. Be sure to shake off extra almond flour.

                                         

Place in oil for 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other, or until they are crispy but not burnt. Also, make sure they are done in the middle. Pat dry with a towel.


For the waffles, the recipe below only make about 2.5 in my waffle maker (I have the Black and Decker Double Flip Waffle Maker - thanks Mama!) so I usually will make this recipe twice or add a little bit more depending on how many I want to make. Feel free to experiment. I also used monkfruit the first time I made it but ran out in time for the second. If you have it and want to use it, I recommend it. The recipe is below.

Ingredients for the Waffles:
-4 large eggs
-4oz cream cheese
-1/2 cup almond flour
-2 tbsp melted butter
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 tbsp monkfruit (optional)
-1 tsp baking powder


Directions for the Waffles:
If you have a blender, add all the ingredients to the blender and blend about a minute, until everything is smooth. If you don't have a blender, I put all of the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and microwaved everything for about 30 seconds, stir, and 20 more seconds before it gets to a good consistency. Spray the Waffle Maker with PAM or spray and pour 3/4 cup of the batter into the Waffle Maker. Cook about 4-5 minutes per side. Add sugar-free syrup or chicken :)




And finally, you'll want to put the chicken and waffles together 🐔🧇




Even my 9 year old approved!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Potato Soup in the Crockpot

Book Review and Summary - Prince Harry - "Spare"

10 Ways to Make Parenting a Middle Schooler a Little Bit Easier