Chicken Parmesan with Pasta + RIP Kobe Bryant

I normally don't do long introductions to a recipe but this one was hard to put together because of my mindset so I wanted to share a few things. Today is a hard day. I was watching the college Pro Bowl about an hour ago and the announcer said that "Cody Bryant" had died. I wasn't going to look it up because I had no idea who Cody Bryant was but something pushed me to do so. I went to the Yahoo homepage and saw multiple articles about Kobe Bryant passing away in a helicopter accident. This could not be real.

I started my love and obsession for basketball probably around age 10 or 11. I loved the Jazz and I was living in Utah. I would write and draw on printer paper and post photos around my wall in my room voicing and showing my love for the Utah Jazz. I had friends that were huge Laker fans and we would always be competitive. Until the year 2000.

I was on the swim team with my sister and we would come home and there was this show back then called "In the House" and Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher were guests and co-stars on this show. The main actor was LL Cool J. When I bring it up now, no one seems to know the show but I was lucky to have watched it. The more I watched, the more I loved Derek Fisher (mainly) and Kobe and started watching the Lakers. That first year I watched was the first year they won the championship. So I continued to watch, and they continued to win. Even after their 3-peat, I continued to follow and watch and obsess with the Lakers. Especially Derek Fisher. I was a Lakers fan, obsessive Lakers fan, for more than 10 years. And by obsessed, this is what I mean - I remember being at a church bible study when I was a teenager and they were asking for prayer requests. At the time, Kobe's daughter was extremely sick, so I remember raising my hand and asking for prayers for Kobe's daughter. I remember there were some snickers around the room but, at that time, the Lakers were like my family. I watched every single game and wrote down every free throw, every point, I had a Lakers scrapbook of every player and even a Geocities Lakers website.

To hear the news of his passing is completely devastating. My boyfriend was gone and I called him and said, "Did you hear about Kobe Bryant" and he said, "Did he die?" and I said "Yes" and the next thing he said was, "Are you serious?" and I started bawling. My Dad passed away at the age of 37 in a helicopter accident. Kobe died at age 41 in a helicopter accident. I hated to love Kobe. I hated the fact that he was a "ball hog" but obviously the G.O.A.T. I loved his smile, I loved him outside the game, I loved that he seemed like an amazing Dad. His 13 year old daughter also passed away. I am in shock. I am sad. I am heartbroken.

I just had to share my love for the NBA, for the Lakers, for the game, for Kobe.

On to the recipe -

Last night I made this Chicken Parmesan with Pasta recipe HERE from Food and Wine. Also, I just noticed this is my 5th blog post on a Chicken Parmesan recipe so if you are looking for other ways to make it, here are some other ideas:
- Chicken Parmesan with Pasta in the Cast-Iron Skillet
- Easy and Delicious Chicken Parmesan in the Air Fryer
- Keto Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Crispy Chicken Parmesan Bake in the Cast Iron Skillet

Ingredients:
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 chicken breasts, cut in half
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 1/2 cups dry pasta (I combined penne and shells since that's all I had)
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 cups water


Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, cheeses, salt, and pepper.


Rinse the chicken breasts under cold water and cut in half. Press the breadcrumb mixture evenly onto both sides of each chicken breast. In a medium frying pan, heat the oil over medium and sear chicken for 3 minutes per side, until browned and crispy.


In a baking dish, combine the pasta, marinara sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, water, and mix. Arrange the chicken breasts on top and cover with aluminum foil.

                                                


Bake for 20 minutes and then uncover. Cook for 5-10 minutes. I didn't get an actual plate of the chicken and pasta because we were watching UFC ;)

Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Potato Soup in the Crockpot

Book Review and Summary - Prince Harry - "Spare"

10 Ways to Make Parenting a Middle Schooler a Little Bit Easier